Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Howard University No Longer Has Sports


We've heard of colleges losing a program here and there for various rape and non-rape related charges, but this is the first I've heard of an entire athletic program getting suspended.

Washington City Paper reports that Howard University is temporarily suspending all sports teams and all upcoming games while they conduct a review.

Details are scarce at the moment, but it appears to have at least something to do with textbook vouchers given to student-athletes:

...the university allowed athletes to spend money that they didn't use on books on whatever they wanted, a possible violation of NCAA rules.

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is. I had my own personal program like this at Ryerson; my parents gave me money for textbooks, and I spent it on not textbooks.

I'm pretty sure we just call that OSAP up here.

No comments: